De-rendering the stonework part 1

Well,I thought I had finished the dining room, but apparently the rain had other ideas.

Every time it rained we had huge damp stops appear on our two outside walls. The corner if the house seems to attract all of the bad weather and this is evident inside and out.

The houses on our road were built in the 1920’s, and were built of stone. Apparently in the 50’s or 60’s the houses were rendered with sand and cement, probably in an effort to reduce penetrating damp and to keep the houses a little warmer. What may have been a good idea back then clearly isn’t the way forward. We have cracks here and there in the outside of the render which the rain manages to find and squeeze its way in. This saturates the wall, gets wetter and wetter until it shows on the inside walls.

image

The render is keeping the wet in the wall really well and the water is always going to find the easiest way out, which in our case is into the house. Super smashing great.

It has to be said, the render somewhat spoils the look of the house and we can’t wait for the stonework to show it’s self once more. It gunna look ace.

Weapon of choice.

Dewalt 2kg SDS 240v hammer drill with roto stop function.

image

I started on the wettest part if the house with a thin flat chisel tool. It came away easy as the render wasn’t really attached to the stone with much strength.
image

Not much yet but this is exciting

image

It’s easy to see how wet it is on the inside. The mortar is very wet and dark. The face of the stone dried within minutes.

Onwards we go
image

image

image

Look at my helper poking her head out in that last one.

image

image

image

By now this was probably 4 hours work. Consisting of half hours on lunch breaks and an hour after work before it got dark.
image

By now I was bored. I started on the back of the side of the house and found it hard going. I decided to upgrade.
image
It’s cheap, but its easy to use and actually quite ergonomic. I haven’t suffered numb hands after using this one yet. I did with the dewalt. This thing is heavy at 6kg so I knew prolonged use would be tiring.

Time to press on.

image

Back of the side of the house, about 2 hours work.

image

10 mins later. This new drill is good.

image

The inside of the house is already looking drier. And let’s not forget this is October in Britain, so its not been that dry! (Excuse the bright blue skies)

image

Almost at the top.

image

image

We made it!

I think there is about 10-12 hours in it so far. Same again will see us finished with stage one.

Time to bag up some rubble.

Ttfn.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *